Selco branches turn back the clock with 1990s prices
Published: 10 September, 2015
Two Selco Builders Warehouse branches are reducing the price of some products to 1990 levels to celebrate their anniversaries this month.
At the company’s Bristol and Swansea branches, which will be celebrating 20 and 25 years in business respectively, prices will be rolled back to those recorded in 1995 and 1990.
Some employees say they were surprised to find that a selection of items could actually end up costing more after the price change.
A first class stamp has increased from 22p to 63p over the last 25 years (a 186% increase), and a pint of beer has increased in price from 99p in 1990 to £3.31 today (a 234% increase).
Conversely, expanding foam has decreased by 20p in the last 25 years, and a door-closing hinge has decreased in price from £42.45 in 1990 to £40.99 today. The price of a stainless steel kitchen sink has remained constant during this period and still costs the same today as it did a quarter of a century ago - £31.29.
Quick to point out the customers won’t be charged the higher price, chief executive Chris Cunliffe says the price differences came as quite a shock.
“Selco is in a period of rapid expansion with new branches opening every few months, so it’s nice to take a step back and recognise the success of the branches that have been open for many years,” he said.
“It’s especially poignant for me to mark the anniversary at the Bristol branch as I actually started my managerial career here, so it’s quite a personal achievement for me to look back and see where the company has come.
“Given the tough economic conditions our customers have had to deal with over the past few years, we have rolled back prices to the 1990s as a gesture to thank our loyal customers for their support.
“However, when we picked out 25 of our popular items to roll back prices, we were surprised to learn that some have actually come down in price. Of course, we won’t be charging our customers the higher prices, but it was certainly an eye opener to see what’s happened to some costs.”
1990 and 1995 product prices were informed by financial service company Provident’s research and information from the 2015 Good Pub Guide.
Products featured in the rolled back price promotion include:
· Matt white and matt magnolia paint – current price £14.45 – rolled back price £10.95 – a saving of 24% [Selco Contract Matt Paint Brilliant White / Magnolia 10 litre]
· Softwood whitewood 2” x 1” – current price - £1.69 – rolled back price 39p – a saving of 77 per cent [PAR softwood whitewood 50mm x 22mm (2” x 1”) PTL 2.4 metres NOM PEFC]
· Fence post – current price £7.99 – rolled back price £3.75 – a saving of 53% [treated green or brown fence post 75x75mm x 2.4 m (3” x 3”) FSC®]
· Guttering – current price £7.45 – rolled back price £4.25 – a saving of 43% [Squareflo 114mm gutter 4metre white]
· Loft insulation – current price £21.39 – rolled back price £16.95 – saving 21% [Earthwool 44 loft insulation 100mm 13.89m2]
· Skirting board – current price £2.99 – rolled back price £1.99 – a saving of a third [Reversible Torus / Ogee skirting 175 x 25mm NOM PEFC]
To mark the anniversaries, Selco is also giving away building materials to charities in Bristol and Swansea. Organisations wishing to apply for up to £2,500 worth of supplies can visit www.selcobw.com/bristol20 or www.selco.com/swansea25.