L-r: Plumb and Parts Center’s product manager, Karl Baggott, Jason Donoghue, customer marketing manager – construction and Adrian Keats, national account manager for Honeywell Analytics.

Don’t be a killer gas victim, staff are warned

Published:  22 April, 2015

‘A carbon monoxide alarm can save your life’ – this was the hard-hitting message to employees at the Leamington Spa HQ of Plumb and Parts Center, during an awareness day.

Employees were educated on the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) and offered Honeywell CO alarms in return for a donation to the Katie Haines Memorial Trust, raising £1,500 for the charity.

The Katie Haines Memorial Trust was set up by the family of 31-year-old Katie, who drowned in her bath in 2010, when overcome by CO from a faulty boiler.

“I’m delighted this awareness day was staged,” said Katie’s father Gordon Samuel. “We support any initiative that highlights the dangers of CO poisoning. We’re very grateful for the donation and we won’t rest until everyone understands the dangers of CO, and takes steps to ensure they don’t fall victim to it.”

Plumb and Parts Center, the Trust and Honeywell have staged a year-long campaign, calling on the government to make alarms compulsory when any carbon-burning appliance is installed.

“Over 250 people work at the Wolseley Center, in Leamington Spa, and Plumb and Parts Center wanted to tell as many as we could about the dangers,” said head of marketing Julie McLean.

“The work of the Trust is vital and we’re glad, in this small way, we’ve been able to give them a boost,” she added.

Sign Up

For the Builders' Merchants News enewsletter.

In the spotlight

We have vacancies all over the UK for those who work within the Building Supplies sector.

Events Diary