Shouting about the 'silent killer'

Published:  16 September, 2009

BASINGSTOKE: Corgi statistics revealed for carbon monoxide awareness week (16-20 November) show that around 20 people die from CO poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated. Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health if breathed in over a long period. In extreme cases paralysis and brain damage can be caused as a result of prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide.

The statistics also disclose that some 20 million households or 47 million people do not have an alarm or don’t have their appliances serviced often enough. Nearly one person in thirty surveyed believed that they had suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning and only 6% of people are very confident that they would recognize the symptoms of poisoning.

Corgi says: “Our installers each visit hundreds of homes every year and are staggered by how few have carbon monoxide alarms. It is a killer or can leave you with permanent brain damage or paralysis. As you can’t smell, see or taste carbon monoxide, it is essential to protect yourself with an audible alarm and get your boiler and other fuel-burning appliances checked at least once a year.”

Corgi encourages households to check for blockages before lighting a fire or switching on their boiler, enlisting the help of a registered installer if necessary.

Sign Up

For the Builders' Merchants News enewsletter.

In the spotlight

Recruitment

Builders Merchants Vacancies – UK Wide

We have vacancies all over the UK for those who work within the Building Supplies sector.

Guest Blog by Michael Barnett
A Bright future predicted for housing construction

One of the major talking points in the wake of the Brexit decision has been around the country’s current housing shortage with a YouGov poll from this year revealing that first time house buyers are now 38-years-old, on average.

Events Diary