Case closed for FiTs.
Supreme Court throws out FiTs appeal
Published: 28 March, 2012
LONDON: The longstanding Feed-in Tariff saga has ended with the Supreme Court throwing out the Government's appeal against a ruling that its actions on the subsidies were 'unlawful'.
As a result, companies and households that installed the panels before 4 March will now receive the full payback from the tariffs. It is also hoped it will finally end months of uncertainty for the industry.
The appeal, lodged by government earlier this year to the Court of Appeal, follows High Court action by solar company HomeSun environmental group Friends of the Earth (FoE) which argued government plans to cut FiT incentives by as much as 50% from December 12 2011 – and ahead of a formal review were illegal.
HomeSun chief executive Daniel Green said while this ends the FiTs "fiasco" that it does not "repair the damage to the industry which has now been decimated and a huge opportunity for this country squandered".
Solarcentury chairman Jeremy Leggett, said: "This final step in the legal process has wasted much needed time and money and now we, the renewables industry, simply want to get on with creating our clean energy future. "Renewables can only play the pivotal role necessary to deliver a new green economy if we have a stable market and investor confidence backed by lawful, predictable and carefully considered policy."
HomeSun said it now hopes energy secretary Ed Davey turns his attention to making other initiatives such as RHI and the Green Deal work.