Merchants’ anticipate better sales for fire doors(P3)

Published:  17 May, 2010

Sales, year-on-year

Sales were down year-on-year, with a net 24% of merchants reporting a decrease in the last three months compared with the same period of 2009 (Chart 2). Mid-sized companies (36%) and small firms (17%) reported lower sales whereas large merchants were unchanged. More businesses in the South (36%) reported weaker sales than those in other regions (14%).

A net 26% of timber merchants and 16% of builders’ merchants sold less. Sales were lower for independents (32%) than for national and local chains (16%).

In the last three months (January to March), 97% of all fire doors sold by merchants had a 30-minute fire resistance. The remaining 3% were 60-minute fire-rated doors.

<<<Back Next>>>

Sign Up

For the Builders' Merchants News enewsletter.

In the spotlight


Builders Merchants Vacancies – UK Wide

At Arco, we are an industry specific recruitment consultancy, providing sales and managerial staff Nationwide to Merchants, Distributors and Manufacturers of Building Materials within the Construction Sales Sector. Priding ourselves on our unparalleled customer service and hard work, we offer a fresh, innovative and personal approach to recruitment specifically designed to meet our clients’ needs and candidates’ skills.

Guest Blog by Simon Damp

Is DIY a lost art?

As time goes by, the art of do-it-yourself when it comes to activities around the home and garden is fast becoming more and more of a lost art.