(Left to right) Neil Davidson, corporate social responsibility manager; Graham Holden and HRH Duke of Gloucester look at the commemorative hand crafted flag to be situated in Marshalls’ new garden area.
HRH Duke of Gloucester visits Marshalls
Published: 19 October, 2009
ELLAND: Marshalls was delighted to welcome His Royal Highness Duke of Gloucester to its operations office in Elland, West Yorkshire, recently. The Royal appointment was in recognition of the company’s long history, pioneering work in sustainability and its contribution to the communities it works within.
At his time at Marshalls the Duke of Gloucester was given presentations on the company’s 105 year history, from the first quarrying of stone from the surrounding Pennine hills, to its involvement now on numerous landmark projects throughout the UK. He then went on to officially open a new garden area at the office.
Marshalls has several connections with its materials and the Royal household. In the 1940’s Hanson Marshall worked (hand–carved) a decorative Yorkstone compass which he presented to their Majesties the King and Queen (King George VI and Queen Elizabeth – the late Queen Mother) at the Royal Agricultural Show, York, on 7th July 1948. The piece was then later placed on the lawn of the Highnesses’ residence at Balmoral Castle, Scotland, by Hanson Marshall, under the personal supervision of King George VI in September that year.
Graham Holden, chief executive officer of Marshalls said of the engagement: “Marshalls was honoured to receive a visit by His Royal Highness Duke of Gloucester. Being a qualified architect he was extremely interested in the company’s history and the projects we undertake in the UK and around the world today.
“He was also particularly interested to hear about our pioneering work in sustainability from the Carbon Labelling of all our manufactured product range, ethical sourcing of materials and the commitments to the communities we work in both at home and abroad.”